Sunday, May 3, 2009

waiting...and more waiting

When I first had the idea of doing a blog for Tommy I assumed the information would be fast and furious as we quickly marched toward surgery. Ummm, yeah - not quite the case. After two more appointments at Hopkins that included a mini-quarantine for "suspicious travel to Mexico" we are no closer to surgery than we were a month ago. I do well with a plan, not so well with the entire Summer in flux. I was hoping to have the surgery in time for Tommy to participate in ESY (summer school of sorts) at his new DHOH preschool to help ease the transition before activation and the start of the school year. As each day goes by without a phone call I'm realizing that my plan quite probably is a pipe dream. My biggest fear is activation close to the start of school. The stress of the new sounds and adjusting to natural hearing with electrical hearing is the big mystery....How well will he adjust? Will he reject the cochlear implant? Will he be terrified? Watching him struggle with the simplest of tasks it's clear that he NEEDS a CI and am grateful that the "deaf enough" card has been granted. Let's get on with the show already....

No comments:

Post a Comment